Four new patterns and four new tutorials. Tutorials are simpler, so it’s nice to alternate them between patterns. I have some ideas that might work better as tutorials than patterns.
My first priority is the Mini Daytripper mods. You only need to make a few minor modifications for a purse-sized bag, but I need to make another one before I can post them. I think I’ve made 10 of them in the last 2 months and after the one I made the minute I got off the plane, I need a few days of sewing something different first. I’ll get it done by the end of next week for sure.
Tutorial/pattern ideas (not a full list, just what’s in my head right now):
- Sling backpack – I want one for the gym or as a reusable bag type of bag. Me-sized not kid-sized.
- Travel pillow/pillowcase (with a zipper, of course)
- Lingerie/organizer bags (more zips and applique)
- Gadget sleeve – This is one I have made lots of and it’s not difficult to sew but I wrote the wristlet pattern instead because they keep changing the gadget sizes. If I can come up with a formula, then I can make this work. Otherwise, where do you stop with the pattern pieces?
- Some sort of tall, medium sized rectangular hobo/tote – Not sure about a zip. A magnetic snap or no closure may be OK but I won’t know until I make one. Possibly a back lapped zipper instead? I need a tote bag that fits my laptop when needed but isn’t giant.
- A slouchy sling bag – I kind of want to make one with a zipper. I see these bags everywhere but will anyone make one when you can buy them for $15?
- A top-zip tote – Like your standard quilted tote. Someone wrote me to say they don’t like recessed/inset zips. Is this a common thing? I prefer them because they allow the opening to be wider. I suppose we could do a basic top-zip tote?
- A small handbag, possibly in two sizes? – A tiny handbag size and a small or medium sized purse. One strap. Top zip. Flat bottom but the zip like the chevron bag.
- A drawstring purse – As either a padded camera case or a special occasion purse. Drawstrings for every day? Not my idea of convenient. I’m in and out of my purse a zillion times so that doesn’t work for me, but yet I love the style!
- Something other than a gusset or a boxed bottom. Maybe an oval or a gathered bottom.
- Pleats, bows, patchwork, etc. I’ve focused on the technical design so far and left the “pretty” up to you. That’s great, but I’d like to see if I can make something pretty to start with.
I would like to do something sewing related that’s not a PDF pattern. Maybe something outside of my website. Maybe a bag-making series. Maybe a project in a magazine. Maybe teaching a class. Something like that.
- Knits! Especially the Tiramisu dress and some skirts – I’m not afraid of knits, I just struggle with finding the right fabric! Also maybe a t-shirt tote and something with ruffle fabric.
- Dresses (Cambie and Washi) and skirts with an invisible zip and yoke – Same problem with fabric.
- Scarves, headbands, fabric flowers
- Quilts – I have so much fabric designated for quilts and this will be the year they get made!
- Potholders – I have no excuse for having a single sad potholder in my kitchen
- Aprons – Also no excuse for having a shelf of food-related fabric and no apron
- I need to lose the rest of this weight. I was down about 20 pounds, but then completely stalled out around June. Then I gained some back when I stopped counting calories while writing the Daytripper pattern. It’s hard work, especially when you’ve been awake for 30 hours and you just want pancakes. I know what to do, which is eat nothing and get to the gym a few times a week. It sucks. My doctor argues that 1500 calories a day is not “nothing”. I disagree. Anyway, the goal is to gain some muscle and build up my metabolism so that I can do outrageous things like drink liquid that is not water.
- Quilt Market in May
- Star Trek Chicago in May
- Stargate Chicago in August
- Sewing Summit? Last year it was a scramble to get a ticket. We’ll see!
- Vancouver! Hopefully this summer but most likely winter. Either way, we will get there. I am determined to use up all those miles I earned flying across the ocean! :)
- I think London is going to get bumped to 2014. Sorry Tasha and Steph. Soon, I promise!
I need to do some boring accounting stuff for a few days and then I’ll get the info posted on the Mini Daytripper and figure out what’s next! Is there anything on this list you must have?? Something else?? Now is the time! :)