Still catching up on blog posts, but getting there! I made these for Toronto, of course at the last minute. I wanted a small wristlet for my passport, room key, cash, etc.
I used the same technique on the one end that I use on my gadget pouches, but I added a tab to the other end since opening up wide isn’t crucial when I’m not sliding a large device into it. It worked out really well. I used fusible interfacing on all four pieces and one more layer of sew-in interfacing, but no batting. While it doesn’t have that feel that the padded pouches do, I quite like it and it holds it shape very nicely.
It’s a little bit big and the strap is a little bit too long. The pocket is perfect, but the rest of the pouch could have been smaller. Don’t you just love this purple fabric?
Then I made this bag. Do you ever get a bag in your head that you just can’t get out until you make it? This zipper installation has been haunting me. I’ve had two mild successes (and one of those was a total zipper success, i just didn’t like the shape of the bag) and I expected this one to be an improvement over the last and it wasn’t, probably because I was rushed. I also was not happy at all with the lack of structure to the bag. I used the wrong combination of batting and interfacing and the bag was just too soft and floppy. I used Form Flex fusible instead of SF-101, and it was the first time I’ve used it and it bubbled. I don’t think it was the interfacing’s fault – I rushed and tried to steam-baste instead of pre-shrinking it and that was a mistake. I’ve used it since without a problem, but I honestly already cut this bag apart to save as much of those pretty chevrons as possible. I have enough to make another wristlet. :)
There were aspects of it I did really like, and I made a rough pattern piece so I can try again.
The zipper looks pretty good from the outside, but there were some construction issues you can’t really see.
Anyway, I learned a lot making this one and I’m anxious to make something else with this zipper style soon!